Dreams often have symbolic meanings which tends to encourage us to gather information on how to interpret dreams in order to understand messages from the subconscious mind. However, there are no particular rules for dream interpretation and they tend to carry different meanings for different people.
More often than not, effective dream analysis depends on the context of your dream and your own personal circumstances. At times, dreams simply allow you to release bottled-up emotions from your busy, stressful life.
Fanatically looking for meanings and interpretations for such types of dreams is clearly pointless. Therefore, it is better to study the theme of a dream first, and then seek out answers for its interpretation based on universal symbols.
It is essential that you remember your dream and keep a detailed account of it in a diary or journal so that you do not miss out any of the details.
While interpreting the meaning of your dreams, it is imperative that you listen to your heart and inner self for guidance. So, try to be receptive to the feelings and emotions you had in the dream but do not let your meddling mind impose its fears or desires on your heart.
How to interpret your dreams
- While analyzing your dream, focus more on its symbolic interpretation rather than worrying about its literal meaning, unless seems to be a prophetic dream. Needless to say, dreams that seem insignificant do not require thorough contemplation. They just represent the daily activities of your life.
- Use dream dictionaries to find the meanings of objects or symbols that appear in your dream. For instance, you can very easily find interpretations for dreams of flying, falling, being chased, losing teeth, climbing a ladder, etc. through online dream analysis books and dictionaries. You are also likely to find meanings of colors and other minute details.
- When trying to explore how to interpret dreams, do not ignore your intuition. In fact, it can be one of the best tools that can assist in understanding and analyzing your dreams.
- Lucid dreaming can aid in interpretation of dreams by clarifying the meaning of a dream because they are more vivid. Being lucid in a dream refers to the phenomenon when you know that you are dreaming. You must have observed that sometimes the conscious mind sort of peeps into the activities of the subconscious mind while the latter remains busy creating your dream.
- If possible, discuss your dreams with close friends. At times, when you are overwhelmed with a dream emotion, the subtle meaning of that dream escapes your notice. Hence, the person who is listening to your dream experience may help you interpret your dream in a better way, merely by gaining insight through your words.
- You will require a lot of practice and patience to perfect the art of determining accurate and insightful meanings of dreams.
Sleep hath its own world,
A boundary between the things misnamed
Death and existence: Sleep hath its own world,
And a wide realm of wild reality,
And dreams in their development have breath,
And tears, and tortures, and the touch of joy;
They leave a weight upon our waking thoughts,
They take a weight from off waking toils,
They do divide our being;…
Byron – The Dream
In case you are looking for tips on how to interpret dreams and visions that are prophetic in nature then you will have to understand that such dreams tend to be self-explanatory and do not require much interpretation.
If you have firm faith that dreams are a means of communication from the Higher Self, the secrets of your dream will unfold naturally to warn and guide you.